Woine Toime

Wine tasting and reviews

Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Cassegrain Winery

My easter was spent up the coast in Port Macquarie and apart from swimming and digging througj ancient silverware. I went to Cassiegrain winery, I've been here before to the restaurant for lunch which I remember as being nice but this was the first time I've been into the cellar to try some of the wines.

I tried the 2004 Pinot Noir which had classic berry nose, but on the palate a more metalic coppery character, very smooth and fantastic long finish. I also tried the Gewurztraminer, this reminded me of the Trimbach style, which I have had. Floral and spicy on bouquet but a nice chrispness on the palate, not a very long finish but very delicious. I got two bottles of each of these and drank one of the Gewurztraminer's with roast pork, would really have liked it with some blue cheese.

I like this place, I tried to go to another winery in the region (won't mention names), the tastings seemed to be basically asking someone behind a bar, the sales were a few bottles stored on a book shelf and the major focus was on the eating area. Cassiegrain on the other hand had a nice driveway into grounds with roses bordering it. The layout of the cellar was excellent, walking past the barrels (some for sale) you go into a large tasting area where the staff are more than happy to let you try the wines, and then if you want to buy the whole process is quick and easy.
The restaurant is also excellent.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home