Woine Toime

Wine tasting and reviews

Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Robert Channon Verdelho 2005

I am NOT a fan of this grape variety, after having tried a few examples in the past which were quite terrible, but as my parents have just generously sent me a selection of wines from this maker in the Granite Belt QLD after their recent visit, I was obliged. On the bouquet was quite a fine and delicious mix of fruit salad, smoke, some herbs and olive or clove oil. The palate again was surprisingly fine, with a lovely minerality, fine acidity, slightly oily mouthfeel and a deft dry finish. Fruit was robust, but curbed by a savoury edge, and there was some residue in the bottle, most likely isinglass. Overall this was a very accomplished wine, even moreso for a Verdelho. Certainly the best Verdelho I have ever had, and according to accounts the best out of QLD and probably this country. I look forward to trying the 2004 vintage.
50+4+14+16+7 = 91/100

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home